Below I list the news articles that I've come across that mention Jodrell Bank Observatory. While there is a lot of research done at Jodrell Bank that doesn't use the Observatory, I don't include those here: these articles all bear a relationship to the Observatory itself. I may also include journal articles about the Observatory, but there's none of those here yet.
SETI - April 2008
Lofar - April 2008
Protoplanet HL Tau b discovery - April 2008
- 2 April - The Guardian - "Baby planet found around star HL Tau"
- 2 April - The Times - "It’s just a baby now . . . but one day it’ll be a gas giant"
- 2 April - Press TV, Iran - "Scientists find embryonic planet"
- 2 April - Science Daily - "Youngest Planet Ever Discovered Offers Unique View Of Planet Formation"
- 3 April - National Geographic - "Newborn Planet Is Youngest Ever Found"
- 7 April - Manchester Evening News - "New star at Jodrell Bank"
MERLIN funding crisis - March 2008
- 4 March - The Guardian - "UK telescopes under threat from cuts"
- 5 March - InnovationsReport - "RAS welcomes consultation, but remains dismayed at cuts to UK Astronomy"
- 5 March - The Times - World-leading telescopes face being shut down to save £2.5m" (front page)
- 6 March - Manchester Evening News - "Jodrell Bank under threat"
- 6 March - Manchester Evening News - "From Sputnik to supernova"
- 6 March - Liverpool Daily Post - "Jodrell Bank faces closure"
- 6 March - BBC News - "Jodrell Bank fears funding loss"
- 6 March - Manchester Evening News - "Merlin project a 'world-beater'"
- 6 March - Evening Leader - "Telescopes face axe under funding cuts"
- 6 March - The Guardian - "UK's world-class astronomy project faces closure"
- 6 March - Architect's Journal - "Funding cuts threaten Grade I-listed telescope" (including one of my photographs)
- 6 March - Slashdot - "Jodrell Bank May Close Down"
- 7 March - The Times - "Professor Sir Bernard Lovell condemns 'disastrous' plan to close Jodrell Bank"
- 8 March - Daily Mail - "Do ID cards threaten our ancient liberties?" (end section)
- 7 March - Telegraph - "UK astronomers to broadcast adverts to aliens"
- 7 March - Mirror - "Jodrell Bank telescope could close over cash cuts"
- 7 March - Manchester Evening News - "Founders plea for Jodrell Bank"
- 7 March - Computing - "Jodrell Bank observatory faces closure", also on ChannelWeb.
- 7 March - Macclesfield Express - "Jodrell Bank threatened with closure"
- 7 March - Manchester Confidential - "City news in 250 words"
- 7 March - Guardian - "Is Labour's love affair with science over?"
- 8 March - Manchester Evening News - "Star Wars fight to save Jodrell Bank"
- 9 March - The Times - "Hot Links - Jodrell's Future Threatened"
- 10 March - The Independent - "Bruce Anderson: Jodrell Bank's closure proves we no longer tread boldly toward frontiers of science"
- 11 March - Manchester Evening News - "Boost for 'save Jodrell' campaign"
- 11 March - Manchester Evening News Blog - The Mancunion Way - Why Save Jodrell?
- 12 March - Crewe Chronicle - "Astronomers fight to save landmark telescope"
- 12 March - Macclesfield Express - "Iconic telescope"
- 13 March - Manchester Evening News - "MPs back Jodrell Bank battle"
- 14 March - Manchester Evening News - "Little star of Jodrell Bank"
- 15 March - Manchester Evening News - "Students campaign for Jodrell"
- 16 March - ThisIsCheshire.co.uk - "Campaign to save Jodrell Bank"
- 17 March - New Statesman - "Good night Jodrell Bank"
- 18 March - Manchester Evening News - "Save 'modern wonder of world'"
- 19 March - Crewe Chronicle - "Threatened Jodrell Bank given backing"
- 21 March - PhysicsWorld - "Iconic UK telescope faces closure"
- 22 March - ThisIsCheshire.co.uk - "Radio telescopes are threatened"
- 25 March - Cheshire News - "Anxious wait for Jodrell Bank"
- 28 March - Press Association - "Government 'stifling scientists'" (also on Channel 4 News)
- 28 March - BBC News - "'Funding stranglehold' on science"
- 30 March - The Press Association - "Government 'stifling scientists'"
- 31 March - The Times - "Blame Gordon for Jodrell's woes"
- 2 April - Manchester Evening News - "Ministers won't help Jodrell Bank"
- 9 April - ThisIsCheshire.co.uk - "Osborne casts shadow of doubt"
- 10 April - Runcorn and Widnes World - "Save Jodrell Bank"
- 11 April - Chester Chronicle - "Is Cheshire star on the wane?"
- 14 April - The Press Association - "May slams science 'under-funding'" (also in the Fleetwood Weekly News)
- 17 April - World Socialist Web Site - "Britain: Science cuts threaten Jodrell Bank radio telescope"
- 18 April - ThisIsCheshire - "Vicar’s son works to save Jodrell"
- 22 April - The Guardian - "Save Jodrell Bank: the song"
- 23 April - Nature blog - "Songs about science part VI: ‘Don’t go messing with our telescope’"
- 24 April - Manchester Evening News - "'No decision yet' on Jodrell Bank"
Telescope's Tyre Change is Wheel Success - February 2008
"Changing a car wheel at the roadside can be tricky enough. But popping a spare onto a 3,200-ton radio telescope is a whole different story." -- Jodrell Bank press release
- 4th February 2008 - Jodrell Bank - "Telescope's Tyre Change is Wheel Success"
- 4th February 2008 - University of Manchester - "Telescope's Tyre Change is Wheel Success"
- 5th February 2008 - Manchester Evening News - "Great Jodrell Bank hold-up"
- 6th February 2008 - Macclesfield Express - "Telescope repairs are a tyre-ing job"
- 6th February 2008 - BBC News Big Picture
- 6th February 2008 - BBC News - "Jodrell's pit stop"
- 9th February 2008 - Northwich Guardian - "Five days to change tyre (on 250ft telescope)"
Lovell Telescope on new BBC digital channel - February 2008
"The Lovell Telescope is to star in a new BBC digital channel. A crew recently filmed the 250ft dish for a series of inspiring clips to be shown between programmes on BBC Knowledge." -- Northwich Guardian article
- 3rd February 2008 - Northwich Guardian - "Crew uses telescope to inspire viewers"
Candidate for World Heritage Site? - January 2008
"Both Jodrell Bank and Cern are among the technological landmarks that could be immortalised alongside the pyramids of Egypt and Taj Mahal on Unesco's World Heritage Site (WHS) list." -- Silicon.com article
- 22nd January 2008 - Silicon.com - "World's finest tech sites immortalised"
- 23rd January 2008 - Silicon.com - "Editor's Blog: The pyramids versus Macclesfield"
- 26th January 2008 - The Times - "Jodrell Bank zooms in on heritage status"
- 26th January 2008 - The Times - "Science and Serendipity"
- 26th January 2008 - Manchester Evening News - "A place amongst the stars"
Random mentions - various times throughout the year
- 7 March - The Sun - "Tommy: Let's get plastered!"
- 16 February - The Times - "Being Simon Carter can be quirky, but there is method in his madness" - "He was educated at Felstead, “so minor on the public school radar you'd have needed Jodrell Bank to find it, where I buggered up my A levels. Twice.”"
- 4 April - Yorkshire Post - "Duncan Hamilton: A closed book for some authors, a new chapter for others" - "Last year, in Britain alone, more than 118,000 new titles barked for our attention. If you turned each page, you'd soon chaff the skin off your fingers. If you tried to read them all, the glass in your next pair of spectacles would be thicker than the lens of the Jodrell Bank telescope." Note that the Lovell Telescope doesn't actually have a lens: it's more like a mirror. It reflects photons, rather than bending their paths.
- 25 April - SlashGear - "Hawking parabolic WiFi adaptor boosts range by 600%" - "I really want a mini Jodrell Bank on my desk; the added range would just be a bonus."